Buhari reacts to release of 21 Chibok girls

President Muhammadu Buhari has reacted to the Boko Haram’s release of 21 out of the over 200 Chibok school girls the terrorist group abducted in 2014.

“As I depart Abuja for Germany on an official visit, I welcome the release of 21 of our Chibok Girls, following successful negotiations,” Mr. Buhari said on Twitter few minutes after the news broke out.
“The Department of State Services (DSS) has briefed me on the matter, and will continue to provide updates.

“Cooperation on the security & humanitarian situation in the Northeast will form a significant part of my discussions with Chancellor Merkel,” the president said.

Boko Haram kidnapped nearly 300 female students from a secondary school in Chibok on April 14, 2014, provoking international outrage.

More than 50 managed to escape on the day they were captured.

Since then, there has only been one confirmed release since then. In May, 19-year-old Amina Nkeki was found carrying by the Civilian JTF.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s